At the April 21, 2022 BPAC meeting, BPAC Strategic Planning Taskforce member, Commissioner Campbell, presented the draft 2022 BPAC Strategic Plan for adoption.
An excerpt is below, followed by the full presentation and summary of discussion.
Purposes of the Strategic Plan
- Focus BPAC members to discuss priorities and, hopefully, arrive at consensus
- Communicate BPAC’s goals to community, council and city staff
- Guide agenda development
- Enable advocacy outside of BPAC meetings
- Familiarize new BPAC members with the commission’s goals
- Goal 1: Be strong advocates for bicycle and pedestrian safety.
- Goal 2: Be a conduit for information on bicycle and pedestrian projects.
- Goal 3: Encourage equity driven investments and policies and advocate for the bicycle and pedestrian community.
- Goal 4: Build relationships with policymakers and provide feedback on pedestrian and bicycle policy.
Thursday, March 31, 2022; 6:00-8:00 pm, online and by phone.
Agenda topics include:
- BPAC 2022 Strategic Planning
- BPAC Commissioner Expectations
The BPAC Strategic Planning presentation is below.
At the June 17, 2021 BPAC meeting, Laura Kaminski, Acting Strategic Planning Manager, gave an update on existing and new projects including: the Downtown Oakland Specific Plan, an Impact Fee Update, and a General Plan Update.
Downtown Oakland Specific Plan (DOSP) — Mobility Objectives:
- Improve access and safety for pedestrians;
- Create a world-class transit network linking Oaklanders to downtown
- Develop a connected network of low-stress bicycling facilities
- See map (in presentation) of Proposed Low-Stress Short-Term and Vision Bicycle Networks
Transportation Impact Fee 5-Year Update:
- Update fee schedule from 2016 nexus study based on inflation along with Appendix B – what is necessary to fund cumulative CEQA traffic mitigation costs.
- Provide additional fee schedule to fund list of potential citywide transportation projects not included in Appendix B.
- Provide additional fee schedules to fund list of specified transportation projects included in the (1) Downtown Specific Plan (DOSP) and (2) Waterfront Ballpark District at Howard Terminal Project (offsite transportation projects, not direct impacts of Howard Terminal project)
General Plan Update Schedule
- 2021 spring and summer: Approach and Consultant Team Selection
- General Plan Update Memo
- RFP for Consultant Team (Council – September)
- Backbone CBO as part of consultant team
- 2021 fall: Official Kick-off
- 2023, January: Adoption of Housing, Safety, and Environmental Justice Element
- 2025, July: Adoption of Land Use, Transportation, Noise, Open Space, Conservation, and Recreation Elements
The full presentation is below.