At the April 1st, 2021 BPAC Infrastructure Committee meeting, Cathy Chea (MTC) gave a presentation on the West Grand Avenue HOV/Bus lane extension Phase II project. The project is part of Bay Bridge Forward.
- Phase 1 project opened January 2019 added 1300’ of bus/HOV-only lane
- Phase 2 project proposes the following:
- Bus/HOV lane westbound by converting existing shoulder from Frontage Road to Maritime Street
- Multi-use 2-way path on south side of West Grand between Mandela and Maritime by extending existing sidewalk. It would be 8’ wide with a 2’ barrier.
- Construction expected in 2nd half of 2021.
Notes from the presentation and discussion are below.
At the December 03, 2020 Infrastructure Committee meeting, Steven Jones from AC Transit gave a presentation on the recently completed East Bay Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) line, branded as “Tempo”. “Tempo” opened to riders on Aug 09, 2020.
Notes from the discussion, and the presentation are below.
- Committee forwarded a list of concerns to AC Transit before meeting, including concerns around lane striping, signal timing/actuation, and training/policy. How much follow-up can still be done by AC Transit versus by others?
- North of 42nd Ave is Oakland right-of-way, south of 42nd Ave is Caltrans. AC Transit project is almost entirely complete, so follow-up will likely need to be handled by others.
- Garrett suggests forming a smaller follow up sub-committee to review specific concerns and find out which can be addressed still via the AC Transit project. Committee members will follow up directly to coordinate.
- Some issues may be in AC Transit’s interest to adjust, even if built as planned, including pedestrian signal timing.
- Some of the pedestrian signal timing issues may have been related to signal control problems—now resolved.
- Drivers are parking in the bike lane, especially around the community market near 56th Ave, and also between 73rd and 105th Aves.
- AC Transit’s BRT outreach team has been disbanded, so any communications follow-up will have to be done by others.
- Interested in focusing on non-enforcement solutions.