At the December 15, 2022 BPAC meeting, Gavin Lohry, Project Manager for the Bay Area Toll Authority of the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, will provide an overview of the Bay Skyway and the current projects that are under development and will provide an active transportation connection between San Francisco, Treasure Island, and the East Bay.
A more in-depth update will be provided on West Oakland Link section of the Bay Skyway which will provide a safe connection for bicyclists and pedestrians to travel between West Oakland, the Port of Oakland, and the Bay Bridge Trail. The West Oakland Link is currently finishing environmental review and plans on beginning detailed design (PS&E) in early 2023.
An excerpt is below, followed by the full presentation.
Bay Skyway: Current Projects
Three projects are currently under development (Phase 1) that will connect Oakland and San Francisco with a combination of pathways and an electric ferry with frequent service:
- West Oakland Link
- Yerba Buena Island Multi-use Path
- Treasure Island to San Francisco Electric Ferry
Bay Skyway: Current Projects Progress
Working with Caltrans and the San Francisco County Transportation Authority we submitted 4 federal and state grants (for $124 million) that would fully fund construction of Bay Skyway Phase 1.
- Projected to carry 8,229 daily bicycle, e-bike and pedestrian trip in 2028.
- Reduce VMT on the Bay Bridge by 192.3 million miles cut 89,800 tons of GHG emissions over 20 years.
West Oakland Link
West Oakland Link which is part of the Bay Trail will provide a safe connection for bicyclists and pedestrians to travel between West Oakland, the Port of Oakland, and the Bay Bridge Trail.
- 1.1 miles of separated, elevated low-stress multi-use path
- Connects Mandela/Grand intersection to Bay Bridge Trail
- Connects with the planned protected bike lanes to downtown and Lake Merritt on Grand Avenue
- Landscaping and community amenities
West Oakland Link: Current Status
- Environmental Review
- Final CEQA documentation (IS/MND) is set to be adopted in January 2023.
- Detailed Design (PS&E)
- Fully funded and plan on starting design Spring of 2023.
- Developing community-based engagement plan.
- Construction Funding
- Submitted 4 federal and state grants for the West Oakland Link in 2022.
- West Oakland Link was awarded a 2022 Active Transportation Program grant for $17.6 million.