At the June 16, 2022 BPAC meeting, OakDOT Transportation Planners Charlie Ream and Celina Chan presented on two projects, the 66th Ave Coliseum BART to Bay Trail project and the Laurel Access to Mills, Maxwell Park & Seminary (LAMMPS) – Phase 2 project (this post).
These projects and the 27th St Bay Pl Project which was heard at the May BPAC meeting was submitted as One Bay Area Grant (OBAG) applications for the June 30, 2022 deadline. Staff requested the commission review the checklists attached for each of the three projects and share comments back to Charlie Ream by June 23, 2022.
An excerpt of the presentation is below, followed by the full presentation.
About the project
Laurel Access to Mills, Maxwell Park, and Seminary (LAMMPS) Phase 1 was a community-based transportation planning process that identified safety improvements on Macarthur Boulevard between High Street and Richards Road. From that planning process, the City of Oakland implemented several improvements, and the most notable was the off-street shared-use path that provides a safe bicycle and pedestrian connection between the Laurel District and Mills College.
OakDOT is now working on LAMMPS Phase 2, which is focused on Macarthur Boulevard between Richards Road and Seminary Avenue. The main goal is to extend the off-street bike/walking path and to implement safety improvements.
- Extend the off-street biking and walking path to Seminary Avenue to provide a safe bicycling and walking connection between Millsmont/Frick and the Laurel
- Slow vehicle speeds and curb unsafe driving
- Reduce vehicle collisions
- Improve safety and comfort for people walking and biking, especially crossing at major intersections
- Upcoming public outreach
- June 16, 2022: Oakland Bicyclist and Pedestrian Advisory Commission (BPAC) meeting
- July 13, 2022: Maxwell Park Neighborhood Council Meeting
- Summer 2022: Apply for funding through the One Bay Area Grant program. Deadline is June 30, 2022
- Early 2023: Grant award notification (project implementation is dependent on successfully securing funding)
- Summer 2023: If successful, begin detailed design and community outreach